kc The drudgeries of life: Then and now... The drudgeries of life: Then and now...

The drudgeries of life

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Then and now...

01 February, 2008

I had just walked out of my SCMHRD personal interview after delivering an awesome performance at the International Convention Center, SB Road, Pune, when my phone rang. It was Mumma.

She informed me that IMT-G had sent my call letter... My interview was scheduled for the 16th of February, but at Indore :x
I told Mumma that I would not appear for it... who's going to travel to Indore for just a GDPI?!
And I purged it from my thought process... or so I thought.

My mind kept vacillating.


30 March, 2008

While playing Quake3 at a gaming parlor in Koregaon Park, Pune, Rishabh suggested that we check the IMT Ghaziabad results which were supposed to be declared today...
His apprehension and anxiety to check the results were justified: He had almost touched a 98 percentile in CAT, and his GDPI had gone well!

"You're going to IMT Ghaziabad, buddy", I assured him!

I, on the other hand, had no hope for converting my IMT-G call... I had a messed up percentile, a little short of 97, and I had had the worst GDPI experience at the hands of the IMT Nagpur faculty who presided over the IMT-G process at Indore.
They had challenged me to rank colleges like NMIMS, IMT-G, SIBM and IMT Nagpur on a scale of 1 to 4, and I had honestly assigned the last spot to Nagpur. That ended the interview right there... on a very sour note, I must add.

As I said, I had zilch expectations!
Plus I was enjoying my life at Infy and Pune... I had even planned to move in with Manjeet; my visa was stamped and by the year end I'd be off to NJ!
No, even if by sheer misfortune I get a call from IMT-G, I decided that I'll not join the program...

2 minutes later, I got the shock of my life when I discovered a "CONGRATULATIONS!!" message on the results screen... I was being offered a seat in the PGDM - Full Time program at IMT-G!!! :O
I logged off, and logged in again to recheck... maybe some error in the computer's cookies!

BAM again! "IMT-G PGDM - Full Time program" screamed the screen!
And I felt dizzy.
Rishabh who was expecting a convert, and rightly so, didn't get it. But I, the black sheep, did :(
Totally clueless now as to which path to take at this fork in the road of life, I called up my parents...
Talking to them, I realized that I could never let go of IMT-G... it was now or never!
Anyway letting go of things you have in hand is so very difficult...


11 March, 2010

Almost 2 years later, while scribbling crap in the last exam of my MBA life, I couldn't stop my mind from wandering.
What if I hadn't gotten through to IMT-G?
What if I had stuck to my whim and not gone to Indore for the GDPI?
What if I had chosen not to go to IMT-G despite my final selection?
I can tell now for sure that I'd have lost a lot, I'd have not enjoyed some of the best moments of my life, I'd have never met some of the best friends that life offered me, I'd have never felt so young all over again :)

After studying the concept of opportunity cost, I know that the opportunity cost when I opted for this program was high. It still is.
But opportunity cost is a flawed concept. It only measures the earnings from lost opportunities that one has missed out on. How come it never takes into account the learnings that one has gained, the experiences one has garnered, and the life that one has lived instead?!
Intangible things are of little significance in today's materialistic world...

Anyway, what an apt way to end this leg of the journey: It started with lots of conflicts and consequent negotiations 2 years back, and it ended today with an exam on Conflict & Negotiation :)

Life travels full circle, yes it does!
Time now to contemplate the upcoming fork in the road...
Wish me luck, folks!
Party time :D

Labels: , , , , , ,

posted by Smartalec at 8:20 PM
Share this post: Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home