kc The drudgeries of life: Surprise!! The drudgeries of life: Surprise!!

The drudgeries of life

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Surprise!!

As I stepped into an autorickshaw, I switched on my mobile after 20 odd hours. I calmly gave the driver the address I wished to be dropped off at while at the same time contemplating whether or not to receive Mumma's call, a dilemma to escape which my handset had been in off mode all the while ... a few more minutes wouldn't make any difference, I thought to myself, so I cut the calls. I knew she'd keep on calling, and she did just that... it doesn't take much to get her suspicious :p


I got off in front of Madina Manzil, stared at the PNB hoarding on the second floor making sure it was really there, paid off the rickshaw fella and dialled back the number at the top of the Missed Calls list. The questions I was probed with as soon as my voice got registered was about where have I been and what have I been upto. As I walked slowly towards the building, I continued the story I had built up over the course of the last week... been busy with excess work, meetings, conferences, and hence, the switched off cell phone. The excitement with which Mumma asked the first couple of questions noticably subsided... as I begun my unhurried ascent up the stairs, I found out what the enthusiasm, that I had unwittingly(:p?!) killed off, had been all about. The women of the house, my mother and my sister, had actually contemplated that I'd be coming home as a surprise for my sis' birthday the next day... "You people na! How can you all expect something like that when I said I'm so busy", said I. The big SIGH that followed was me at my dramatic best :D


The disappointment in Mumma's voice was evident as she explained what led to such assumptions being made about my surprise visit. I walked through PNB's congested entrance and made my way towards a cubicle where I could make out that someone was present, albeit hidden from my view, and all I could notice was the top of the head of the person sitting there. As I moved closer, I could tell that the head movements of the cubicle occupant complemented the utterances I heard from the other end of the line :) And when I stepped in front of her, she looked up but it took more than 10 seconds to register who was standing there with luggage and all. Her reaction was as expected, if not better... a perfect Kodak moment!


After one round of sentimental stuff, I dissuaded her from notifying Dada and my kid sister about my arrival, something that she was as eager to do as was I. Well, I had waited almost 2 months to pull off this surprising spree and I could wait for another hour to make sure I had surprised the entire lot! And surprise them I did!


Reached the Phool Chowk branch of PNB on Mumma's Activa. Left my luggage and strode in alone. There he was, sitting at his desk, working away to glory... my old man, looking quite young and handsome though. As I walked towards him, he looked up and noticed me but it didn't strike him who the tall dude approaching him was, until I grinned at him. Even when Dada realized that it was me, his reaction (if at all there was any) was just the opposite of Mumma's. That's my calm and composed father for you... it takes a lot to shock/surprise him :) Nonetheless the embrace and firm handshake reassured me that he was pretty happy.



Two down, one to go. Left for home where the third and last "victim" would be present. Dada promised to come home after winding up things at the office. Reached the two-storeyed mansion and rang the bell while simultaneously announcing in a loud voice "Courier". My little sis (maybe she's 16 but she'll always be a little kid to me), who had been expecting a courier from me, fell for the bluff. Sweety was racing down the stairs when the sight of me sort of paralyzed her! Clean sweep! Another round of hugs and kisses, and it felt good to be back.



The 2 days long vacation was pretty neat... The sis' birthday, the outing with the folks, the time spent at home, delicious food prepared by the parents *yummy*. Save for a sad one-off incident triggered off thanks to misunderstanding and pent-up feelings, this was one helluva homecoming!



Back to being busy for a while... the CAT is lurking nearby :( Sorry people, I haven't been able to read your blogs and leave comments... will do that soon.

Labels: , ,

posted by Smartalec at 11:33 AM
Share this post: Bookmark and Share

14 Comments:

AWWWWWWW..so very sweet of you!!...what would i do for a bro like you!

9/28/2007 8:02 PM  

Wowwwwwwwwwwww.... Thtz so nice of u, dude... Am sure ur parents must have had too good a time! Wonderful man... Now it gives me ideas! :D

9/29/2007 12:19 AM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

9/29/2007 1:13 AM  

Oh great! Everyone is able to pull off suprises except yours truly here... "Lakiyon ke pet mein baat nahi pachti na" :P.

Very sweet post!

9/29/2007 12:38 PM  

awesome! how cool to surprise everyone like that...and very sweet....awwww ur all quite lucky to have each other. :)

9/30/2007 6:49 AM  

u shud have had a camera with u and clicked away bugger...those wud have made quite a priceless collection :)

10/01/2007 1:01 AM  

Awesome, Stevie the brother!!! Why just two days? Should have stayed longer na?

You and your PNB, sigh!

10/01/2007 1:54 AM  

awwwwwww..now THAT was sweet!!m sure u hogged on the biggest piece of cake for the wonderful surprise eh?:D

10/01/2007 5:13 AM  

its good that you actually pulled it off... now this brings a lot of homesickness... off to check availablity charts

10/03/2007 12:42 PM  

wowie! hee hee.. I could actually imagine the expressions on ur folks faces! I know u mst've had a great time even if it was for 2 days! even I've been quite busy these days, havent posted nything for a while, will get back with vengeance though. btw I lost my cell, mail me ur number.

10/03/2007 6:52 PM  

Awesomo :)

You cell switched off wont work anymore now - kuch naya dhoondna shuru karo for next year n all but then, whatever u do - they'll expect you home now on.
Best thing - fly down from abroad - that'd be totally unexpected. Chal ab saving shuru kar :P

10/08/2007 12:34 AM  

Good one mate.

10/12/2007 2:32 AM  

@gee
who said i only surprise my sister in such a way:D?!

@naresh
thanks mate! do try it... it's fun all the way!

@dc
accha?! u better not:p
yeah! i felt she loved it too :)

@astha
prejudice, i tell u! try to karo ;)
thanks!

@jen
thanksss :)

@vk
yeah man! would've been a priceless collection :)

@amod
no leave, mate! but it was fun... short n sweet! hehe can't help PNB

@aparna
thanks re!
and i deserved the biggest slice of cake, dont u think?

@praneet
yeah man! it was an achievement of sorts!

@sur
hey thanks! yeah it was a wonderful reunion! felt great! will mail u my number :)

@prasoon
haha how true u r, dude! theyre expecting me home every week now :p
yeah right! onsite se ghar! u'll provide some financial help, pal?!

@bhavesh
wow! what a surprise!!! how're u buddy? busy b-school boy8)!
thanks so much!

10/18/2007 9:48 PM  

Talking about surprises Steve thanks for the reminder. Aye Aye ! ;)

10/19/2007 4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home