kc The drudgeries of life: Three years down the memory lane - Part I The drudgeries of life: Three years down the memory lane - Part I

The drudgeries of life

Sunday, May 01, 2005

Three years down the memory lane - Part I

Warning: This post is probably gonna eat up a major chunk of Blogger's database space and would end up being my longest till date! So, I find it my humble duty to dissuade anyone who wishes to traverse through this post from doing so because I tend to get very nostalgic at times and this definitely is one of those! For those who wish to continue undaunted, R.I.P :P!

May 5th: Appeared for the mains of IIT-JEE 2002 with a confidence which I never knew I possessed. At the end of the day, everything depended upon the outcome of the Physics paper! I somehow knew it at the back of my mind that my fate had been sealed but stubborn that I am, there was no way I was going to believe it until I saw the outcome with my very own eyes...

May 12th, 2002: Appeared for the national level entrance test of DA-IICT although I had no intention of doing so! Even my good performance didn't seem to help me get my thoughts off my performance in the JEE and the outcome of the same...

May 19th, 2002: Appeared for AIEEE 2002 under adverse situations with no preparation whatsoever and no hope of clearing the exam! Didn't care to discuss the solutions and probable answers with my mates! I can clearly remember one buddy remarking that with the kind of questions I had attempted and assuming that maximum are right, I'd probably bag one of the top colleges! Big deal! I don't care a damn, no sir! The only thing seems to matter is the D-day when the IIT-JEE results would be out!

DA-IICT results got out 2-3 days before D-day. I bagged a rank of 243 which was not bad at all considering the meagre amount of effort I had put in! Though I wasn't exactly exuberant, I did find a silent joy on being selected which served the purpose of a morale booster which I desperately needed for Judgement day!

"The day" came and went in a flash... The IIT-JEE people, I realized, don't prefer beating around the bush! They are definitely the epitomes of straightforwardedness! Their laconic way of playing down your hard-work of 2 miserable years pinched my heart! No, I didn't cry! I was too big a man to shed tears for some entrance exam result! But my heart ached with the thought of what my parents were feeling right at that moment! They expected so very much of me and I had let them down! I knew that behind their assurances that this wasn't the end of the world and that I had much more to look forward to and that "everything happens for the best", there lay their veiled dissappointments!

AIEEE All India Rank 611! Big deal! Call from IIIT-Hyderabad! Nothing matters now!

I was intent on taking a drop to have another go at the IIT-JEE! But my parents had had enough! Whether they had lost all faith in me or whether they didn't want me to sweat it out for another year and flip my lid, I had no idea! I had no intention of hurting them any further! This time I wanted to do it their way...

Now came the hard part! Let me make it clear that I was not short of options! The decent AIEEE rank ensured that I was ranked 13 in my entire state (no need to Oooh and Ahh about that one; my state is as small as they come!) , so thanks to the bureaucrats who has ensured that each state has a fixed quota in the Regional Engineering Colleges, 2 well-known RECs were added to my list of options for colleges to choose from! Not a choice to be made by Eenie, Meenie, Mini, Moe, this one! So after all the pros and cons of all the colleges in question had been considered by the elders + me, I had to choose either the new, upcoming, world-class, located-in-luscious-green-Gandhinagar, and most importantly Reliance-endorsed DA-IICT, or the 4-years elder, established, much heard about, offering only IT and not ICT, IIIT Hyderabad!

What a mess! So, ok! I decided to attend the counselling sessions of both and then come to a final decision! As fate would have it, DA-IICT counselling took place prior to the other alternative's, and the then director, the ICT salesman that he is, and his high ambitions and seemingly impromptu speech about the scope of the field and the future of the college were the sole reasons for my decding in DA-IICT's favor and jilting IIIT even without caring to attend it's counselling!

*Sighs* The worst decision probably that I must've taken in my entire life!

posted by Smartalec at 4:28 PM
Share this post: Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Are Steve, I din know u were clever enuf to get intelligent marks evn b4 comin to the IIT++ college

5/01/2005 9:22 AM  

i dunno how dc-iiit *is tat right* is and i am not trying to rub it in, but,there are no two ways abt it, iiit-hyd is a great place. tk tis frm sm one who has spent 4 fundoo yrs there...

9/30/2005 4:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home