kc The drudgeries of life: Three years down the memory lane - Part II The drudgeries of life: Three years down the memory lane - Part II

The drudgeries of life

Sunday, May 01, 2005

Three years down the memory lane - Part II

Traversing those dewed winding pathways stained here and there by bird-droppings; watching the dry leaves, forsaken by the trees, being swept away by the mild soft breeze; feeling the dew pearls, cold and fresh, on my naked feet; watching the silent and gloomy buildings, a part of the concrete jungle that seems to be infesting the lush-green campus, with no sign of the activities that go in them during day time; watching a sea of familiar faces converge on the goal I was protecting, some for defending and some for scoring, their yells for passes and encouragement drowning out the night's stillness and tranquility... I smile a self-satisfied smile! This is life at its best! I wouldn't have missed it for anything!

Why am I typing out all this?! Just today, when I joined my buddies of three long years for a game of soccer at 2 AM, I couldn't help but reminisce the good old days! Didn't seem good at that time, that's the college three years ago, but now my point of view has taken a U-turn! When I came for the college, it was nothing but a couple of stand-alone buildings with trees and trees and... more trees! No girls, not even many people for that matter! The atmosphere at night was eerie! How frustrating!! But now, we have loads of architectural marvels, on-campus hostels, food-courts, a sports complex, an open-air theatre, a cricket-cum-football ground, some wierdly painted trees and loads of people, especially some (read negligible) pretty damsels!

I can still remember July 22, 2002! My first day at college! I know no one; no one knows me! We were all strangers united together at this place thanks to a terrible twist of fate! There is a look on every face which seems to be saying that this is not where I belong! A few awkward conversations later, I decided that things weren't going to be tough after all with almost every soul here being on the IIT's shunned list! The registration process was the last straw and I got the feeling of being committed to DA-IICT! Here's to a brand new life!!

The first sem was spent at an apartment in sector-7 with 16 people per block! I could boast about residing with really great chaps who were from all over the nation! Friends made then and there are still buddies with whom I feel really good! My roomie at the time was the college's favorite clown and I was an object of worship for being able to put up with him! Dhirubhai Ambani, our mentor's, death was a bolt from the blue which left all of us stranded! From showing some wretched scums, who called themselves seniors, the cold shoulder when they apparently came to "rag" me, doing nightouts, unwittingly spending a marathon 5 minutes in the ladies' room without realizing it:D, to breaking a couple of doors, I had done it all!

Second sem was something totally different! Moving to the on-campus hostel! More nightouts! Procrastination on the rise! Addiction to coffee and icecream! Screwing up in studies! Bunking lectures by the dozen! Learnt to play badminton very well! Playing football at night was a fancy! Got a serious crush on a gal, and realized that the same feeling was shared by 2 more friends and that too for the same lady:(! The rural internship was a completely new and life-changing experience!

Third semester was for studies... and 3 new addictions, gaming, ping-pong and working-out! Fourth sem saw gaming at it's peak and a completely screwed up grade report! The industrial internship added a new game to the gaming addiction queue! Formed a gaming clan! More nightouts, introduction to fag and enjoyed booze the real way!

Fifth sem saw me going to my dream place, namely IIT-Bombay, to participate with my best friends in a contraption event at their Techfest! Won a lot of hearts and nothing more! Screwed up studies with the clan matches doing the rounds! Another addiction joined the list of them... Orkuting! Ended the sem with a career-worst preformance! And seeing the placements and packages that the senior batch received, came face to face with the realities of life!

Sixth sem was a complete makeover! Forsook gaming, but orkuting continued! Blogging was a new found addiction! The director for whom I joined the insti showed us the middle finger and took off for leading a peaceful life unmindful of our placements that were due in a few months! Couldn't the old geezer have stayed back for a few more months and see us safely settled?? Yeah right! Whatever! Did well in studies and worked more on my abs!

So that brings me back to the present day! With the finals over and a week of crappy project work to be persued before a research internship, I can't believe how time has flown by in the past 3 years! Feels bad that after one year I'll have to leave all this behind and get stuck in the drudgeries of life! Though life at DA-IICT wasn't the college life that I had expected, it is surely gonna remain a cherished memory! I am no longer the skinny bloke who was a wannabe, lacked personality, a sweet and shy guy who had never used abusive words, wore his pants high up in the air, had never stayed out of his mumma's sight, had no idea what responsiblity meant!! No sir! I'm a grown-up man now, with a personality, with an attitude, no longer skinny, a sense of responsiblity, and large black circles under my eyes! The been-there-done-that feeling runs in my blood! The only thing about me that is probably the same since I joined college is that I'm still a virgin, unless ofcourse you consider one's modesty being ravaged by the profs as losing one's viriginity:(! Sad, yet true! *Sigh* A time for that will come as well...

So that's about it! Three years of college over! One more to go! Hope it proves to be a success! And I pray to the Almighty to get me a good pay packet!!

Thanks you guys, all my DA-IICT buddies, for being there and making life so pleasant and fun! Hate to say it but here goes: Thanks DA-IICT for making me who I am (Not a sure shot compliment;))! And thanks fellow bloggers for bearing with me once again and for your comments, which are the sole reasons for my being unable to detatch myself from this addiction!

posted by Smartalec at 5:37 PM
Share this post: Bookmark and Share

25 Comments:

dude a night out and two insanely long posts!
i say wat a way to start the sem hols[;)]
keep up the good work dude, and the virgin part was real cheesy...ahem..well we all know the chics go crazy for u, but this?
gogogo smarty

5/01/2005 7:45 AM  

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5/01/2005 9:25 AM  

I cant make out things ..everythin's hazy..Can u make an audio file of all tht u wrote and share it?

5/01/2005 9:27 AM  

:D

5/01/2005 9:27 AM  

whatta coincidence! v almost wrote da same blog. My life before DA-IICT was pretty similar on ur terms, though later on we took different path. AIU reco. mil jaaye to da-iict ka jyada dukh nahi hoga anyways my r.i. is officially started

5/01/2005 10:13 AM  

Beautiful! The posts touched me.

Surely, you have changed a lot. And with our very eyes, we have seen it all.

Remember our first meeting on 21st July 2002? I remember the skinny Steve. ANd you took me for a southie..

I was an eye witness
to your kick on Jindal's door.

And I often did the job of your alarm clock.

Remember what the doctor said when you went to him with a bleeding nose?? Ungli karte hoge!! ROFL

Java project, contraption, DP ... we have done it all.

Hey, imagine you and I getting selected for the same MBA college. 2 more years together. Could I ask for anything more??

5/01/2005 1:20 PM  

hey steve i m finishin my 3rd year too...col was fun,same here the 1st an 2nd sem was super fun...then the fun slowaly died down for a year...now proj s gonna start,boo hoo..

5/01/2005 10:25 PM  

this was nice - choc- a - bloc with nostalgia and anecdotes..
i guess after you depart from college there shall be some people who you are never going to meet again ..see only in memory lane.
Btw is losing virginity such a big deal?

5/02/2005 12:24 AM  

@sriram
puhleeez! u make it sound like a cheap publicity stunt!

@raj
sry abt that incident, man! i'll make sure u're able 2 go thru my entire post somehow or d other! wait!! i know! i'll read it out to ya after tonight's football match!

@amod
literally everyone here has a history similar to others... do ur ri properly n do chakka proud;)

5/02/2005 1:28 AM  

@viki
can't stop feeling gr8 after ur comment! those were THE days!! can't ever forget the shy and laconic vivek i met the first day when he was with his dad! i, like a stupid person, trying hopelessly to persuade ya to join me for lunch at college! amod popping in during one of our conversations n making a total fool of me by neglecting my outstretched hand! sheesh! feels good to ponder on dold days!
2 years more with u! it wud be a dream come true!!

5/02/2005 1:35 AM  

@prashanth
i kno what u r going thru, dude! hang in there

@dreamcatcher
thx! yeah feels when u know that it's gonna happen n can't do anything to stop it:(! but what's gotta happen has gotta happen...
abt virginity n losing the damn thing, well i seriously dunno :o! but ppl sure tend tomake a big deal out of it...

5/02/2005 1:39 AM  

how can u forget the nights of cricket in sector 7 n the haunted houses? :D
whr is midtown madness, stonecold?

5/02/2005 8:21 AM  

No i am not on orkut..blogging and YM take up so much of my time that if i got hooked on to orkut i belive i would never get through the rigours of college and exams ;-)

5/02/2005 8:39 AM  

wow steve... I was spellbound! excellent post.. just tht thr was a lil sense of deja vu in parts as I alrdy read Amod's blog!!!

5/02/2005 9:04 AM  

whoa!whoa! no offense man
i was jus pointin out that the virginity part was a lil out of place though in this post
u know, now i feel very very tempted to blog out my past.
wat do u say? lets start the nostalgia season[;)]

5/02/2005 2:20 PM  

call me pessimistic, call me a whiner, but i still don't see why the memory lane is such a big deal. it's not like you've done all those things because of Da-iict. i'm pretty sure you'd have done these exactly same things in any other college.

when it comes down to friends, ya i agree everyone's made some bonds over the years, and probably if not for DA-IICT, i'd never have met steve. but surely i'd have met some other cool hunk who's a really great guy to be with, right? WRONG! there's only one Steve :D. HAIL STEVE!!!

5/03/2005 9:14 PM  

nice nice! college years are the most fun and even better to relive all those moments..u can almost see them get past u in black and white. nothing lasts forever, memories are all that remain :)
Reliving old memories are like a compression mechanism in the head. makes room for some more to fit in. u did a good job with it :D

5/04/2005 1:54 AM  

@bhavesh
gosh! there's so much to type out that even though i wanted to, i didn't feel like increasing the post size;)

@naresh
thanx a million, dude! i'm flattered

@sriram
u're on!!

5/04/2005 3:51 PM  

@isha
welcome back again!

@sarat
well yes! probably we'd have done d same things at some other college too! who knows?! but still, feels good that uve done it n can boast abt it!
n dunno whether i need 2 take d last part as a compliment as d usual tug at my leg:P!

@divz
u've put it in a pretty apt way!
thanks!

5/04/2005 3:55 PM  

nice post! i agree with sarat! :) About the compliment and also about the tug at leg :)

you definately write very well.

5/06/2005 2:23 AM  

I loved ma college years at Xavier's, Bombay!!!! They were good...the frens, the bunking, the professors....the canteen, the woods...i think divya would rememebr it as well!!!! it was amazing, and yeha, some times, i feel like turning back the clock, n going back there....but yeha, we cannot!!! so yeap, good thing we have memories!!!! lolz...btw steve, are you from india????

5/06/2005 7:08 AM  

lol Kris!tell me 'bout it. infact i made michelle send me old pictures only yesterday..wanted to keep looking at them. believe me, i could not stop smiling!

5/06/2005 10:00 PM  

@ekta
hiiii! welcome back! where were u?!
thanks a lot! man i'm blushing *blushes* ;)

@enigma
i agree with ya! like those times when u wish u had a time-machine sorta gizmo! *sighs* life goes on but at least we've got our precious memories!
and yup! i'm from india! why do u ask?!

@divz
hey! not funny! mail me d pics so that i cud join in on d smiling part! haven't been smiling much recently thanks to my project:(!

5/07/2005 1:55 AM  

well i would! but you wouldnt realize their significance. they are funny alright, but you wouldnt know about the events that led to the consequence(picture), which is funnier!

5/07/2005 3:09 AM  

dude, where's new post??!! no time to blog??

5/11/2005 9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home